Frequently Asked Questions
These FAQs are designed to provide you with a better understanding of what you can expect from your procedure(s). They provide basic information. Please feel free to contact us, if you have any questions. We're here to help make your medical procedure — no matter how large or small — a pleasant experience.
Dr. Ramirez has been in practice for 29 years. Over these years, he has gained an International reputation as being among the best plastic and reconstructive surgeons. In 2004, he was named as one of 2,000 Outstanding Scientists of the 21st Century for his contribution to science in the areas of plastic and reconstructive surgery, by the International Biographical Centre in Cambridge, England.
Dr. Ramirez performs the entire scope of aesthetic surgeries including: face lifts and reconstructive facial surgeries, body and breast surgeries, cancer reconstruction, microsurgery, hand surgery, craniofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, and cleft surgery in children. Since 1996, he has concentrated his work on Aesthetic Surgery of the face, nose, breast and body. His extensive experience makes him uniquely qualified to handle all sort of aesthetic surgeries especially secondary plastic surgeries. In other words, when a primary plastic surgery to the face, breast or body does not turn out satisfactorily, Dr. Ramirez can correct the problem.
Dr. Ramirez is Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of Surgical Specialties to certify Plastic Surgeons.
If you are coming from out of state, we recommend that you stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Weston (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllwt-residence-inn-fort-lauderdale-weston/). Ask for our corporate rate (Elite Center for Cosmetic Surgery). You can also book your stay at the Wyndham in Boca Raton (http://www.wyndhamboca.com). This is close to the Boca Town Center shopping stores. If you are looking for more upscale accommodations, then we recommend the Renaissance Hotel (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/travel/pbirh-renaissance-boca-raton-hotel/) or the Boca Resort & Club, a Waldorf Astoria Resort (http://www.bocaresort.com).
For most surgical procedures, you will need a medical clearance from your internist. If you are over 50, or have a history of medical issues then we also recommend a Stress Test. If you have never had a Stress Test, then this would be an excellent opportunity for you to get a baseline for future comparison.
Knowing that you are physically fit to undergo surgery will give you greater peace of mind. Dr. Ramirez recognizes that most surgical procedures result in not only having you look better, but also in having you feel better about yourself.
Of course, your preparation will depend upon the specific procedure that you are having, and we will provide you with detailed information. However, in general, here are the steps involved:
- The first step is the most important, call our office (954.446.6464) and make an appointment for a face-to-face consultation with Dr Ramirez. If you live out of town, we can arrange a Skype Consultation. (Call us for details.)
- After your consultation you will receive a detailed surgical plan describing what procedure(s) will be performed. You will also receive a written estimate of the cost for your planned surgery; including: surgeon’s fee, implant material (if needed), facility fee and anesthesiologist’s fee.
- When you’ve decided to have surgery, we will book a date for your procedure. At this point you will receive detailed information about what tests you will need for your medical clearance, pre-op preparations, intraoperative details (i.e., what is going to be done to you) and post-operative care.
- Our patient coordinator will set up a preoperative consult with you. She will take you step-by-step through your procedure showing you photographs and answering any of your questions. (If you are traveling from overseas, we recommend that you arrive at least two days before your surgery in order to get acclimated.)
- If you are a smoker, you should stop smoking as soon as you have decided to have surgery. We will provide you with a Smoking Protocol packet to help you.
- If you take vitamin supplements, you will need to stop a month before surgery, except for Vitamins A, B, C, and D. Special medical prescriptions are allowed except for blood thinners. This step will be coordinated with your medical doctor.
Your recovery will depend upon the extent and location of your surgery. Major swelling and bruising usually subsides within 10 – 14 days. For most procedures, you will see your desired results within 1-3 months. Most patients are socially presentable after 3-4 weeks. After this amount of time usually only the patient notices any change. Patients traveling from out of state or overseas are able to travel 10 – 14 days after the surgery. Most patients can return to office work after 2-3 weeks. Typically, office work from your home can be resumed a few days after your procedure.
Dr. Ramirez charges $200 for a consultation. The entire amount is applied towards your procedure. Your pre-op consultation averages 4 hours. During your consultation, Dr. Ramirez will examine you and review your medical history as well as discuss with you the procedure(s) that you wish to have. He will explain all of your options to achieve your desired look.
The famous psychologist Abrahamm Maslow once said, "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." This idea holds very true for plastic surgery. If a surgeon has only a limited amount of tools, he or she will use only them to solve a problem. On the other hand, as an experienced surgeon, medical author and teacher, Dr. Ramirez has developed a wide array of tools to use for your problem.
Cosmetic surgery is not covered by any insurance plan. However, many procedures, like correcting a deviated septum, are. If your surgery has an insurance coverable component to it, then we can help you with your preoperative approval, if needed. After your surgery, you will receive a copy of the operative report and you can submit this to your insurance company for reimbursement to you.
Yes. We can help you get financial approval for your surgery with one of the private financial companies that finances cosmetic surgery.